Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Churning with Chopsticks - 2

Now, that I am getting space from the inevitable administrative business, I can look at things more closely. Almost after a week, I opened up something interesting to read, my only mate, physics. And when physics comes, invites a cup of tea. Here we don't get black tea that easily, but what they call (in their poor english)green tea. I am missing you, Akka!

Unlike India, there is no electricity power problem in Japan(At least, I am not aware of one!). The enormous development due to electronic revolution here has made them more electricity dependent than Indians are. Even after this, one should learn from their disciplined life, how to care for amenities. Most of the places, the equipment control is automatic, as in any other developed country. Whenever, it is not, you will never see tubes lit up or fans flying fullspeed in empty rooms. Apart from speaking a lot (blabberring for me) they have rationing for almost everything. We got to learn a lot from them.

There was a movie Independence Day in english. In one of the scenes there, when Will Smith catches one of the aliens out of his spaceship, the alien is totally helpless and Will keeps kicking him on the way. I had a discussion with my mausi then. As you become technologically strong, your natural strength, both physical and mental decays, it seems. Here I could confirm that. Japan (atleast Tokyo) technologically one of the most advanced place, people here seems to have very week and sensitive health. Once famous for their Samurai tradition, they have become very health-conscious. I think more than any other place in the world. The least exposure to the health injuries has made them immune to almost any foreign body.

They are very polite. No...very very polite....I don't know if it's my personal feelings about them. But they are more than necessarily polite. This can't be natural and I think they are hiding their real feelings, their real turbid feelings. They want to be self-sufficient. This is really great. They are doing well in that sense. But deep somewhere they have grown a glitch of insecurity in their mind, I think.

I am good at assessing one's nature. And I don't need to interact with him/her. I always felt proud of it. This is a good opportunity to re-check. Let's spend some time on them.

7 comments:

Amit said...

"I am good at assessing one's nature. And I don't need to interact with him/her. I always felt proud of it. This is a good opportunity to re-check. Let's spend some time on them".

You should also be good at accessing your nature of committing spelling errors. This is a good opportunity to re-check. Spend some time on them.

BTW, nice that you are enjoying there, aish karo!

Nikhil Joshi said...

bete...tel macha diya na....mujhe assess hi kahna tha...na ki access!

Assess: estimate

Access: Act of approaching (irrelevant here)

Amit said...

Oh no :(, tel to poora phail chuka hai! Ab apni izzat bachaane ka ek hi tareeka hai, apna comment delete kar doon.... koi upaay bataao bandhuvar.

Nikhil Joshi said...

rahne do yaar....tel sirf shabdonka hain...waise accessing someone's nature is not a bad idea...though I am not good at it...tumhara comment mujhe meri kamiya batata rahega....

aur fir tel ki kisko fikr hain...yahan to puri tel factory laga baithe hain...:-)

श्रीपाद said...

It seems true that Japanese do not express their true feelings. I remember reading the interview of a Japanese Fileds medalist, Hironaka, in the Notices. He says the following:

In Japan, it goes like this. Professor A recommends a young man, Dr. B. It is a fact that he recommended Dr. B: he presented the recommendation in a document. Why should he now insist on it? He thinks, `Let other people talk about it. Then Professor A says something good about Professor C's recommendation. If I take that seriously, then I have the wrong idea, and Professor A gets mad after the meeting. So I must listen very carefully and realize that he actually wanted support for his recommendation. A Japanese person will insist on what he recommended or what he wants. But he doesnt express it. Because if he expresses it and if it doesnt come out in his way, then he has some kind of dishonor or disgrace. So you must be careful not to disgrace him and to guess what he really wants indirectly.

Looks like they are rather tough to deal with. Be careful boss!

श्रीपाद said...

I meant Fields medalist. :-)

Nikhil Joshi said...

thanks shripad...

Probably I shouldn't discuss physics with them...:-()