Thursday, January 12, 2006

The search


What is the specialty of a Hijara/chhakka ? The fact that they are impotent is all accepted. Plus, in most of the communities it is believed that they have a direct touch with their gods. The blessings from them is a word of god. This must be the reason, why at every religious function in India, they are invited whole-heartedly.

So, here is something (or rather someone), who can do nothing but to pray the god for your good-fortune. Recently, I met with a tree which depicts the idea. This is a tree on the Neral station some 100 km from Mumbai CST on the central line towards pune.

C'mone don't hurry to add a comment! The idea is not my original. This piece of ingenuity belongs to my dear friend Mr. Amit Kulasreshtha, though the search is purely mine.

You can have a look at other snaps of the trek here.

11 comments:

samudrika said...

I agree about the tree. Weird coincidence! We have something similar in front of the golden lift - that wooden sculpture - it looks something like this but no arms.

Amit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amit said...

Good that your search for the tree is over. Here is another one which I clicked a few days back.

Nikhil, you were little unfortunate not to have soothing things in the background. I do not like those metallic objects and electric wires. Try some different angle next time.

Nikhil Joshi said...

Samudrika
Thanks for the reference. I didn't notice this thing. really great! Also, the idea/interpretation belongs to Amit and not my original one!

Amit
on the contrary, I think this contrasting background adds more drama to it. Imagine a barren tree, surrounded by the metallic objects (as you say them), marking the prosperity and energy and the train at the corner depicts the speed towards future, that is us. The train thing however was merely a luck. We didn't notice it at the time of taking snap.

Nikhil Joshi said...

Oye amit, woh main dekh chuka hoon....sorry I think I forgot to cite it in my blog. But I did cite you:-}

Amit said...

@Samudrika: I remember that sculpture. But I could never see it from this point of view. Thanks.

I am just curious to know the name of the sculpture (so as to guess what the artist might have in his/her mind while making it). Can someone please help?

@Nikhil: Agreed! those prosper things may add drama to the picture but they kill something "cool" in the background. I do not know what. Again... my opinion, may be biased.

Amit said...

Forgot to give this link of related interest: A scientist’s patronage of art. This page includes a portrait of M.F. Hussain by Bhabha.

Hetal said...

good observation and great inspiration, is all i can say!
keep it up

Nikhil Joshi said...

Amit

Hey, it is "Young Prophet" by "A M Dureiwalla"

Amit said...

Thanks Nikhil!

samudrika said...

There is another one of those sculptures near the west canteen. This is made by Pochanwala and this is called "Alert"