Thursday, January 19, 2006

Name it or not

One day uncle, Shakespeare said to me, " What's in the name?", when I reverted, "what else without it?". Believe it or not, but whenever I joined a new group I had a new title.

My parents used to call me Gundya. Perhaps because I was a little fat and resembled a typical gunda. But, notice the ingenuity. Being parents they gave a little homely touch to make it gundya. (Now a days, they have stopped calling me so, which I miss a lot.) My school friends called me Anna. I loved it. In college I was known as iit. I don't know the reason, but I got along with it. In IIT, for non-marathis I was Bhau,whereas marathi ones invented a rather funny name for me, gotya (you know, even our yahoogroup was given the same name). In my institute I am more often known as Chaapu (though there are many others: moron, warrior, yanni). In one SERC school, there was some misbehaviour from some boy and girls couldn't spot it out. Though, they unanimously claimed, that it can't be Nikhil. Bass! Ho gaya. My friends there started calling me khassi. I don't know the exact meaning of it, but surely it is not one which one can carry for long! (Yeh ladkiyan bhi...) And so and so and so....

Name, name and names! Sometime it is just symbolic, sometimes just for fun. For some, it gives you pride, some are just to pull your leg. Sometimes, it is sarcastic whereas the other show a deep affection. Sometimes, it is for your popularity and sometimes it represents your infamy. With one you feel a bit projected away for the other it is more injected into you. A name for each character hidden inside you, a name for each group you know(I doubt, if I am given some more names in various departments or groups here), a name for each new place you meet new people and name for each good friend and from each worthy enemy. Various names, various purposes, various feelings. Name, name and names!

But, I know of one common thread therein.......they all make you nostalgic at the end!

7 comments:

samudrika said...

I envy people who have so many names. My parents in their wisdom, gave me a very short and simple name and I have always been known by it througout my life. I never had a nickname which a good thing i suppose.

Anonymous said...

Why is kholu missing?

Nikhil Joshi said...

Voice within

Are yaar...bhul gaya. How can I forget my real identity? Thanks boss!

But any way, it is implicite from my blog writting, isn't it? I mean, arbitrary Kholna!

For general information: Kholna means blabbering in a devine language, spoken only in Honolulu and related areas

Amit said...

@Samudrika: Samudrika is not a short and simple name. Many westerners will have to twist their tongue before correctly pronouncing it!

@Kholu: Kholna is not merely a word, it's a feeling and do not try to translate it.

Nikhil Joshi said...

Amit
Supress all your feelings, then....I am talking about the WORD kholna

Hetal said...

N.I.K.H.I.L.

do tell us the meaning of this name, that your parents (or atyaa) decided to give u. n, if u kno, thereason behind naming u so.

am back.

Nikhil Joshi said...

I don't know why this name! I miss the person a lot, who gave me this name...perhaps, I am to give it a meaning, myself!