Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The sacred Bell - I

This concept was floating over my mind for a long time, but didn't materialise into a blog lately. Recently, I completed reading the book The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, where for the first time, I was introduced to the richness of the famous painting The Vitruvian Man by Leonardo Da Vinci. And it revoked my inspiration to put my good-old thoughts into words.

Sometime back, at my institute, there was held a series of lectures on "Biophysics" by a visiting faculty from a centre dedicated to biological studies Dr. Kalyan Banarjee. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend much of it. Though, I remember of one particular day, when the lecturer wanted us to be furious about the fact, that most of the biological processes follow a Gaussian distribution! The lecture ended with a question "why?", both on the back-board and my mind.

Being an experimentalist, I had a similar experience in physics, which shattered me the most. Physics and Bio differ in only one (and I suppose the most important) principle. Biology, unlike physics can not be made objective. The sacred law of natural adaptation or survival of the fittest draws a thick line between these two subjects. Still most of the systems there share the same mathematical nature! why?

Here, you deserve having a fair deal and I must pause for a while. Let all your random thoughts wave around to dig this seemingly ubiquitous relation between these totally uncorrelated systems. Who knows some better interpretation might evolve, if I don't bias your thoughts with my logic.

....to be continued

No comments: