Friday, April 07, 2006

Knocking the right time

It is always the case, that I am at the wrong place at the right time. Or I just knock at the wrong time, this time the right door. As a total, you are in the research field and with this fate, and you know what you got to pay for it!

It is not even a month, I started working on this problem. The code is just near its optimum look and not even a week passed after the latest presentation in the recent meeting, a similar work appears on the archive database. The first thing your mind does is auditing over the amount of effort you put in this work, the sleepless nights, the gloomy bicycle rides, the constant hide n' seek with your own thoughts and the glorious moments of hitting the idea.... All gone for nothing! And you are back to square one.

It depresses you in first impression...but, I love this scenario....this is why I am here for.....it keeps you alive....it keeps the challenges up!....to be at the right place at right time!....it is research...and every morning must show me a new sun with new air to breath....and a new show to begin.....the show must go on...but not the same, a different flavor...a different mood and a different nikhil, each time!

Better luck next time to me!

10 comments:

Vivek said...

Arre kya ho gaya bhai! :(. Sad to hear that! But that was a really nice philosophical way at looking at the thing!

Basudeb Dasgupta said...

Ohh boy! this will happen buddy...and good that you took it well. In fact the best part about this is that you can feel happy about the fact that if other people are doings things you were working on, it means you are doing good (in the sense that other people also think that it is important) work. So it is a good sign:)

Nikhil Joshi said...

Vivek & VW :

Thanks for cheering me up!

VW :

he he ...I always seem to pick up the right thing...problem is, towards the end, it goes to someone else :(

samudrika said...

That makes two of us. A part of the stuff I was working on got published and I saw that yesterday after I read your post! Coincidence or what? We should drown our sorrows in some absinthe.

samudrika said...

Btw, I like your new template!

Dr Shanta Laishram said...

It happens sometimes! But work has to go on! Don't worry, Be happy!

Nikhil Joshi said...

samudrika:

I already had my share of absinthe (read M..), it starts at C and ends at B with 12 (x 4) distinct flavors...

Cheers!

shanta :

Daro nahi, hum 6 va saal bitake hi jayenge:D

श्रीपाद said...

Hey Nikhil,

This is just a part and parcel of our profession. As VW said it is certainly good that someone else finds this work interesting. That is much better than doing loads of work in a narrow field.

but, I love this scenario....this is why I am here for.....it keeps you alive....it keeps the challenges up!

That's just the attitude, keep it up!

Nikhil Joshi said...

samudrika:

I forgot about your comment on the new templet...thanks

I thought there has to be somethimg people would like to see...either a blog or a templet...here it seems to be the templet:D


shripad:

Thanks dost....

one more thing: it is good that it happened just towards the start....socho, if it were to happen while i am submitting my Ph.D. work...while publishing a paper on the same!!

we have to be happy with what we didn't loose..and by now I am accustomed to it

Sharvani Khare - Pethe said...

I believe one shld change the theory ... Always in the wrong place at a very wrong time!!!

This happens with me too.

Sharvani.